The summer bug cannot speak about ice.
Yesterday I had a long chat with my oldest sister and because I am who I am and she is who she is, the conversation ended up in a million different directions, with one direction going to my childhood. I always knew that I did not have a typical childhood for someone my age in Canada, but I kinda just looked for the silver lining in that I came out as an independent, thoughtful, and well rounded adult.
As I got older, I realized that my childhood impacted me deeper than I knew. Long story short, my childhood was cut very short and as a result I have severe issues with self esteem, have very little self compassion and a fuck ton of self doubt. I hate to admit to this, but I am also a people pleaser.
My dad is a very needy and controlling person who did not speak English and lived with me in Canada (and not Hongcouver) around the time I was in grade 7 and stayed in Canada ever since. As a result, I handled the bill payments, pretending to be an adult calling up companies for trouble shooting various issues, did store refunds for him, etc, while being very limited as to where I can go, was not allowed to join the dance team, and was not allowed to stay in my room to do my own thing because I was expected to sit in the living room with him when I was at home. I will never forget the time he banged on my door yelling at me to get out of my room and spend time with him. You'd think he caught me smoking or fucking a guy if you heard his screaming. I called my mom who was in HK in the middle of her night crying seeking comfort/help. I don't remember how it ended.
I don't know why some people hear these stories and try to explain my dad's actions to me. It's like they are trying to help me feel better, by making him not the monster I thought/felt he was. But how does explaining his actions change how I felt at the moment? Even if a murderer has very good reason and motivation to kill someone, the victim is already dead and the murderer still gets their time in prison if they are caught. I am not dead and my dad is not in prison, but the damage has been done and I will always feel the way I feel about my childhood.
Then this morning, at 6 fucking am in the morning, I get a long message from my sister explaining my parents' actions to me. She actually thought that not being able to travel was what I was the most sad/upset about in my childhood. The fact that she thought THAT was what I cared about shows how absolutely out of touch she is with my situation. Traveling to me is clearly a luxury item, and I don't think I was ever sad or upset my parents never took me anywhere. I just wanted a normal childhood with a supportive family. I wanted to be loved unconditionally. I didn't want to feel guilty because my dad had to take care of me in Canada when he really wanted to be in HK. I didn't want to have the mindset of a 30 year old when I was 10 years old. I just craved the basics.
Then she proceeds to talk about how my parents couldn't provide me with things like braces because they didn't have money, and how my non-childhood helped me become a successful person. Cool, thank the emotional abuse for making me better?! I would rather be naive and stupid and happy and taken care of some times. She said her silver lining with my dad's cancer right now is that it pushed her to be more brave with driving and speaking more English. Cool, you are also 50 years old adult living in a different house as my parents, and can leave a situation if you wanted to. I was 12, 13 years old, and stayed with my dad until I was done college at 21 years old. I could have taken up a part time job, moved out, and went to school, but I did not because I was struggling with passing school even with just school on its own and taking care of random things in English at home from time to time (things did improve when my mom moved back at grade 11 after my dad's acccident at work). At the time, my understanding is that you have to get a degree in order to move forward in life.
While I am not mad at my sister because I know she didn't mean any harm, I was clear with her that she needs to let me feel what I feel. We have an age difference of 13 years and we had completely different childhoods. Even if we had the same childhood, we are allowed to feel differently and react differenly to a situation, because we are all different. You can't just brush it off by saying, "you think too much". Even if I am thinking too much, so what? I know I over think, but my feelings about my childhood are genuine.
No comments:
Post a Comment